With all the delights of St Albans Christmas feasting on the horizon how about trying a simple healthy vegetarian recipe or two to stave off the winter weight gain? Stuffed peppers are really simple but are quite satisfying and tastier than you might expect. It’s a great way to use up some of that quinoa you have in the cupboard too.
For your ingredients you will need:
Some large red peppers
1 Cup of cooked quinoa.(For a tastier quinoa, rather than just cooking it in boiled
water, cook it in stock (chicken or vegetable), allowing the Quinoa to absorb all of the stock.
1 Cup of cherry tomatoes (quartered) or ripe normal tomatoes cut into 1 cm cubes.
2 Large tablespoons of de-stoned, sliced black olives
1 Clove of garlic
1 Teaspoon of chopped capers
1 Tablespoon of chopped parsley
2 Tablespoons of pine nuts.
1. Heat oven to 180C / Gas 4 / 350F
2. Cut peppers vertically - length ways - in half, remove seeds and place on a baking tray
lined with parchment paper or a silicon baking mat.
3. In a bowl mix and combine well all the ingredients and scoop the mixture into the
4. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until the peppers are soft but still hold their shape.
5. Remove from the oven and sprinkle with fresh chopped parsley for presentation.
You can also substitute the quinoa for rice cooked in advance or Couscous or Bulgar wheat. Once cooked they can be served hot or cold.